Are you considering getting on board of Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and potentially the SalesWings lead scoring solution for Salesforce Marketing Cloud? Or, have you already deployed Marketing Cloud Email Studio along with a complementing Studio – yet, you still feel unsure which Studio you should aim for next? This article is for you! With the Connections conference around the corner, we thought it’s a good idea to provide a useful guide to give you the whole picture.
By now you have understood that the Salesforce Marketing Cloud is one of the leading omni-channel marketing platforms for creating and managing winning marketing campaigns and nurturing customer relationships. Both for B2B or B2C – Marketing Cloud is at the forefront of innovation and is as-future-proof-as-it-gets.
It really is more than your typical platform; it’s a key component of Salesforce’s Customer Success Platform. When you drill down, Marketing Cloud contains sophisticated tools and features for discovering and understanding customers on a personal level, and marketing to them across email, social, web, and mobile – in a way that’s suitable both for winning accounts, and individuals. It’s a platform for forming and maintaining one-to-one relationships with customers at scale.
In this post, we’re going to break down each of the following components (Studios) within Marketing Cloud (> click to jump to section):
The Salesforce Marketing Cloud eco-system
Firstly, let’s take a quick look at some of the independent tools designed to strengthen the Marketing Cloud platform. With each business environment being unique, even great technology will never be complete without a rich eco-system of compatible tools.
Salesforce’s success and strategy around enabling independent software providers to enhance their core value proposition is industry leading. While Salesforce Marketing Cloud offers diverse functionality at the heart, many tools will make them simply perfect. A few examples include:
SalesWings provides out-of-the-box and flexible customer journey tracking and lead scoring for Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Companies who are serious about sales and marketing alignment, behavioral customer experiences and enabling sales teams with intuitive sales intelligence within Salesforce CRM, will find all tools they need in a cost-effective all-in-one add-on. It’s tightly integrated into the Salesforce eco-system and excels by balancing power and simplicity at perfection.
#Leadscoring has a positive impact on lead qualification rates and pipeline thickness @saleswingsappClick to tweet
Data collection around your leads is the base for creating personalized customer experiences. While Salesforce provides native form tools that do the job well, industries with advanced requirements will find premium form functionality for Marketing Cloud with Formassembly ensuring highest security (HIPAA compliance, PCI certification etc.), flexibility in data collection (multi-step forms with data saving and “save for later” (education with longer sign-ups), and much more.
With email being at the heart of Marketing Cloud, deliverability and compatibility with the 90+ common email clients out there is fundamentally important. Litmus offers a wide set of tools to ensure your designs are perfect by mastering email testing, controlling your spam core or email analytics – to name a few
There are many more tools out there, and these are just a few. But with no further due, let’s dive into the Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Marketing Cloud Journey Builder: Create personalised customer journeys at scale
Journey Builder is Marketing Cloud’s visual mapping solution, where marketers can orchestrate the various marketing actions from different studios into fully fledged, multi-branched customer journeys..
According to Salesforce’s State of Marketing report, 73% of high-performing marketers say that journeys positively increase customer engagement. That’s because journeys better understand how customers navigate across touchpoints and anticipate how they may react in different scenarios. Essentially, by building journeys you’re laying the road for your customers to walk down and keeping them on track every step of the way.
Journey Builder lets you manage the customer journey by developing personalized relationships on a large scale, at every stage of the life cycle.
73% of high-performing marketers say that journeys positively increase customer engagement #marketingautomationClick to tweet
By mapping the journey, you can identify touchpoints and interactions, and use event-driven triggers such as app downloads or cart abandonment to proactively respond to customers and deliver the right message, at the right time.
The platform also unites marketing, sales, and service teams, allowing each to easily drag-and-drop content created in other Studios (e.g. emails, SMS messages, and ads) into the journey. This cross-department interaction ensures that the message being delivered is consistent across the journey.
(Image source: https://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/journey-management/jb-multichannel-2.png)
Benefits of Journey Builder.
- Listen for customer cues – Use your customer data to better understand who they are and what they expect from you. Then, create journeys that fit with these behaviors, tailoring them based on how they interact with your content.
- Connect marketing channels for a seamless experience – Create customer journey maps to visualize touchpoints and build interactions across every part of the company so that sales and service teams are pushing the same message as marketers across your website, ads, social media, email, mobile, and apps.
- Use templates to interact with customers based on behavior – Have personalized content across the customer journey. For example, welcome emails for new subscribers and abandoned cart emails for customers.
- Interact on a personal level – Optimize the customer journey based on predictive behavior using Salesforce’s Einstein AI and machine learning software, and by testing your message on different channels. The visualized journey map also allows you to react quickly to changes in behavior. For example, if a customer has made a purchase and decides they’re not happy, you can instantly open a case and add it to the journey.
- Measure and improve – Use Journey Builder analytics to define goals and measure performance across channels and customer lifecycle. Every step can be measured so that your approach can be adapted for better experiences.
- Ensure sales and marketing alignment – Based on any data point you have in Salesforce CRM, in Marketing Cloud, or external data you can bring in such as lead scoring from SalesWings, you can directly create leads in Salesforce, convert leads into contacts & opportunities, or schedule follow up tasks for your sales team.
Marketing Cloud Email Studio: Strengthen customer relationships with the right message, at the right time
Email Studio helps marketers create smarter email campaigns by pulling in data from all departments and allowing customers to be reached on any device, at any time with interactions that are personalized based on their interactions with your company.
Despite the rise in social media and search, when it comes to marketing effectiveness, email rules the roost, returning $38 for every $1 spent. Email Studio lets you capitalize on this effectiveness by letting you easily send emails to engage with customers on an individual basis, at every stage of the customer journey.
Why is personalization important in email? Because in the fight for attention, creating something that is tailored specifically for the customer helps you stand out, making your emails more likely to be opened and clicked on, and giving you the chance to strengthen customer experiences by sending the right content, at the right time.
By using data from social and email interactions, and prospecting calls, along with Salesforce’s powerful AI, effective campaigns can be created throughout the customer lifecycle, driving engagement at every stage, from recommending content to users based on blog posts they’ve previously read to encouraging purchases as a follow up to a sales call.
Automation tools allow send outs, delivery reports, and other processes to be scheduled, freeing up your time to focus on other areas such as creating and managing campaigns. And with the platform’s simple drag-and-drop functionality, emails can be crafted individually or in bulk and sent to subscribers in a few clicks, so that you can get your message across when customers are most likely to engage, even at peak times.
As an example of how beneficial the tool can be, by using Email Studio to turn data into information and send out timely content, office furniture company Herman Miller increased email conversions by 100% and email revenue by 200%.
(Image source: ttps://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/email-marketing/email-create-2.png)
Benefits of Email Studio
- Create targeted campaigns — Segment and organize emails based on customer characteristics and behaviors for personalized campaigns at scale. This is particularly useful if you’re sending out thousands of emails at a time. By complementing Email Studio with the SalesWings website tracking and lead scoring add-on for Salesforce Marketing Cloud, you can further ensure sales and marketing alignment.
- Automate campaigns — Schedule emails so that recipients receive content at optimal times. Automatically distribute reports to different departments so that everyone is kept in the loop on performance, and save time importing data between teams, with automated transfers between systems.
- Create dynamic emails — Choose from a wide range of mobile-friendly email templates that can be customized to suit your brand and the customer’s needs at every stage of their journey.
- Simple email optimization — Use A/B testing and advance previews to easily optimize emails for improved performance.
- Create emails without code — Build emails without any technical expertise through simple drag-and-drop content blocks and segmentation tools to hone your subscriber list.
- Predictive intelligence — Increase email conversions with AI by using Salesforce’s Einstein Engagement Scoring to predict which segments are most likely to engage with your content.
Marketing Cloud Advertising Studio: Activate customer data for personalized advertising that’s consistent with your marketing
Advertising Studio lets you use your CRM and marketing data to create personalized, one-to-one ads across search, social, and display ads.
Notice that word ‘personalized’ featured again? That’s because personalization matters as much to advertising as it does to email, mobile, and social marketing. Various studies have shown that relevant ads increase engagement and purchasing. According to Adlucent, seven in 10 people want to see more personalized ads. Epsilon found that 80% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase if they receive a personalized experience. And an IAB study revealed that 71% of consumers prefer targeted ads, with 3 out of 4 saying they prefer fewer, but more personalized ads.
By harnessing the information you have on customers — location, demographic, preferences, and behaviors — Advertising Studio lets you produce ads that are designed specifically for the person that sees them. This means you keep your message consistent with other channels while honing in more precisely on potential leads to close sales and re-engage with customers new offers.
There are 3 central features in Advertising Studio making it all possible:
Advertising Audiences, which lets you pull in your secure CRM data to reach customers wherever they are. The data can be used to create Facebook lookalike audiences and Google Similar Audiences to find new prospects that fit with your current ideal customers across your social media accounts.
Journey Builder Advertising, which lets you create Facebook ad campaigns and cross-channel journeys that include email and mobile in Journey Builder. This tool can be used to create Facebook ads within seconds and increase the reach of email ad campaigns by pushing the ads to Facebook.
Lead Capture, which lets you find new prospects on Facebook and target them with Facebook Lead Ads, automate the flow of customer data from Facebook into Sales Cloud for sales teams to easily manage the lead pipeline, use lead information to create consistent brand messages, and refresh audiences so that lookalike audiences are based on leads that have converted.
But the magic is all in the data.
By opening up your CRM for advertising, you can effectively target the right people across the entire customer lifestyle, from generating new leads with engaging content to bringing inactive customers back in from the cold with special offers.
As proof of how effective data in advertising can be, using Advertising Studio to advertise to prospects on Facebook helped Amplify generate 50% more leads and 11X ROI return on investment, while Scotch & Soda achieved a 16X return on ad spend with lookalike audiences.
(Image source: ttps://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/digital-advertising/ads-harness-your-data-1.png)
Benefits of Advertising Studio
- Make the most of customer data — Activate data from Marketing Cloud, Sales Cloud, and Service Cloud. Then, use it to supercharge your advertising campaigns, and streamline ad targeting based on the preferred channels of your audience — Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Google, and (with Salesforce DMP) display ads.
- Optimize ad spend — Control ad campaigns by creating audiences that are most likely to convert. Stop existing customers seeing ads with segmentation, and align ad campaigns with email marketing to increase leads and sales.
- Automate lead generation — Send leads automatically from Facebook Ads into Salesforce and combine CRM-based lead advertising with nurture programs and lead scoring to create strong marketing-to-sales funnels that allow sales reps to immediately follow up with prospects.
- Combine 3rd party tools to get hyper targeted — By leveraging Salesforce Marketing Cloud’s vast partner eco-system, you can do even more. For instance, you could use SalesWings’ behavioral segmentation solution to show ads to an audience that you know is specifically interested in a service / product
Marketing Cloud Interaction Studio: Drive relevant cross-channel engagement at every stage of the customer lifecycle
Interaction Studio is Marketing Cloud’s real-time engagement platform, helping you visualize, track, and manage customer experiences (even when they’re still anonymous) to deliver relevant content at every stage of the customer journey.
Personalization is a common theme that runs throughout this post and for good reason — studies show that people want more relevancy from brands and are willing to share data for communications that are tailored to them.
Interaction Studio lets you micro-manage the customer journey, allowing you to drill-down into each customer touchpoint to provide an experience that benefits their specific needs and desires.
Insights can be gathered from all digital channels, as well as offline touchpoints such as call centers and on-property activity to understand how the customer engages with your brand. These can then be turned into rich visualizations that show how the customer is moving through the various lifecycle stages and used to create the content that successfully moves them onto the next step or, in the case of lost customers, re-engages them.
Here’s how it works in practice:
- Visitors are given a tracking ID (TID) that allows you to track their activity at every touchpoint on your website or mobile app, in real time.
- You can then create actions based on the activity taken at touchpoints. For example, if a visitor has shown interest in a particular service, you can orchestrate an action that says, “If this service page is visited three times, show the user [content about that particular service] on other pages or channels.”
- The visitor might then see social posts about your service or images promoting your service on other pages. You’re personalizing the experience based on what the visitor is interested in.
And by adding Lifecycle Insights to the mix, you can begin to optimize customer journeys based on engagement trends, easily identifying strong and weak areas of the life cycle, and create content that engages subscribers on their preferred channels.
(Image source: https://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/interaction-studio/interaction-studio-connect-every-3.png)
Benefits of Interaction Studio
- Gather customer insights across channels — View all of the paths your prospects and customers take on any channel or device to engage and re-engage based on their activity.
- Go beyond digital touch points — Connect online interactions with customer activity at offline touchpoints including ATMs, POS, call centers, and on-property engagement.
- Create contextually relevant experiences — Use frequency capping and rule creation to deliver relevant, personalized content, and tailor campaigns on the fly by controlling and prioritizing which messages are seen.
- Cross-team communication — Marketing, sales, and service teams can interact in real-time to ensure a consistent, unified experience at every stage of the customer journey.
Marketing Cloud Salesforce DMP: Capture, organize, and activate your data to build better customer experiences
Salesforce DMP (formerly Krux) is all about creating audiences! It is a data management platform that lets marketers pull user information from Salesforce as well as external sources to create detailed customer profiles and deepen engagement for better business results.
According to Salesforce’s Digital Advertising 2020 Report, 91% of advertisers have or plan to adopt a data management platform in the next fiscal year.
Because accurate data is what creates positive brand relationships and drives the content buyers want to see. The more you know about your target audience, the easier it is to cater to their needs and sell them on your product or service.
Salesforce DMP allows you to refine your audience by accessing first-party data from cross-channel sources in a few clicks. This enables you to bring together all of the information you have on customers to get a clearer picture of who they are. It then lets you supplement that data with second-party data from Data Studio (we’ll talk more about that soon) to fill in any gaps.
With all of the information in place, you can segment audiences to create personalized campaigns, predict which ad formats will perform best with which audiences, and decide how to distribute resources across multiple channels.
You then dive even deeper by using Salesforce’s Einstein to analyze millions of attribute combinations and billions of data points to discover different buyer personas and deliver precisely targeted personalization.
Finally, once campaigns are up and running, you can analyze customer journeys and identify common patterns across all channels to fine-tune your marketing going forward.
If you’re wondering just how powerful all of this data and insight can be, since implementing DMP in 2016, ConAgra has increased brand recognition by 200%.
(Image source: https://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/dmp/sf-dmp-product-screens-data-management-platform.png)
Benefits of Salesforce DMP
- Build comprehensive data profiles — Collect, store, and unify your data, understand customer behavior across all touchpoints, and use AI and machine learning to deliver consistent, personalized campaigns that reach the right customers, at the right moments.
- Access premium data sources — Get trusted and transparent access to shared data from the world’s foremost marketers to discover new and proprietary audiences.
- Control and manage consent — Configure data settings to control how consent is managed and adhere to consumer rights management regulations.
- Discover new insights — Analyze unlimited data attributes and perform data science analysis on datasets to uncover new insights and better understand customer journeys for richer engagement.
Marketing Cloud Mobile Studio: Engage customers on the go with personalized mobile messaging
Mobile Studio lets you use the data you have in your Marketing Cloud platform to reach customers on the go by sending personalized SMS messages, push notifications, and group messages to their smartphones.
As well as complementing other channels like email, social and web, mobile marketing gives you something extra — the ability to deliver time-sensitive messages right to the devices customers use most. Take a look at these stats:
- 2.7 billion people own a smartphone (Statista.com)
- Consumers spend more than five hours a day on their smartphones (ZDNet)
- 89% of people are likely to recommend a brand after a positive mobile experience (Google)
- 80% of B2B buyers research products and services on a mobile device (Smartinsights)
- 91% of smartphone owners purchased or plan to purchase something after seeing relevant content (Google)
- SMS messages have a 98% open rate (Adobe)
2.7 billion people own a smartphone today; 1 huge reason to market on this channel #mobilemarketingClick to tweet
Mobile Studio lets you take advantage of people’s smartphone obsession with three elements for different use cases:
MobileConnect provides a wide selection of pre-built templates and over 80 international codes so that you can create and automate transactional, promotional, and response messages to engage with customers via SMS and audio, video, and picture-filled MMS. For example, you could send purchase confirmations to a customer’s device or engage them with a discount that encourages them to click through to your offer.
MobilePush helps you increase mobile app engagement by targeting users with offers based on their geo-location. For example, sending a text message with an offer or information when someone is at your event. The app also lets you use cross-platform data to send real-time alerts and reminders, and add automate messages to Journey Builder based on their behaviors and previous interactions. Finally, all of your messages can be tracked to measure engagement and improve future campaigns.
GroupConnect lets you take advantage of the 1B+ active monthly chat app users to engage in personalized conversations, capture preferences and data, and target customers with media rich content that includes links and stickers. Salesforce uses the LINE app for this, offering three pre-built templates so you can get started quickly and a single platform from which to manage conversations. For their part in the chat, customers can quickly select replies that best fit their intentions to keep the conversation flowing.
The three tools combined give you complete mobile coverage, allowing you to stay front-of-mind with customers, and customers to stay in contact with you in ways that they know and are comfortable with.
(Image source: ttps://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/mobile/mobile-create-1.png)
Benefits of Mobile Studio
- Build and send targeted mobile messages — Use custom templates to build captivating campaigns in minutes for outbound, text-response, and info capture across SMS and MMS.
- Capture data — Compile user profiles by collecting preferences and behaviors during group messages, which can be used to create consistent messaging across multiple channels. Simple drag-and-drop tools then let you segment mobile users based on location, demographics, and preferences.
- Automate mobile marketing — Schedule trigger messages and alerts to engage customers with the right message, at the right time based on behaviors or predetermined events.
- Drive app engagement — Automatically send messages to users in your target area, and share specific time and place content that encourages them to interact with your brand.
- Align mobile with other marketing channels — Create a consistent customer journey by adding mobile messaging to your Journey Builder alongside email, web, and ads.
Marketing Cloud Social Studio: Listen, analyze, and engage with your audience to enrich social media marketing
Social Studio — which came in through an acquisition of the then called ‘Radian6’ — connects marketers, sales teams, and customer service teams to your social channels to publish relevant content, listen to (and analyze) what customers are saying about your brand, and engage customers to create meaningful relationships.
You’re probably already aware of the importance of being on social media. It’s likely that you already have accounts on one or more of the major platforms too. But are you aware of how big an impact social media users can have on the success of your brand?
According to Ambassador, 71% of people who have had a good social media experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others. However, 74% will switch brands after a poor experience and 46% of social media users will unfollow if the content is too promotional and not relevant to them.
Social Studio helps you deliver the kind of experiences that get you recommended, not ditched. It’s designed to help teams get a complete picture of the customer so that their needs can be met, with relevant content and timely customer service.
46% of social media followers will unfollow if your content is too promotional @BusinesswireClick to tweet
It all starts with listening. Social Studio lets you create social media searches about your brand, market, products, and competitors to see what your audience is talking about, what they’re sharing, and how they feel about your brand.
Data can then be used to create, schedule, and promote compelling content across your social channels from a single dashboard, with tools to help you draft posts and add media content in seconds. And once content is published, you can measure performance to see which posts and pages resonate, and which need work.
Finally, the platform keeps you on top of your mentions, the conversations, and the questions your audience has. From the Engage section, social teams are able to engage users in conversations about products or services, while responding quickly to queries and problems by replying or opening a ticket in Service Cloud so that customer service reps can provide the seamless response that customers expect.
(Image source: ttps://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/social-media/social-analyze-1.png)
Benefits of Social Studio
- 360° view of customers — Listen to what customers are saying, assess sentiments, and interact quickly by routing customer activity to marketing, sales, or service teams.
- Collaborative space for creating engaging content — Quickly create, publish, share, schedule, and boost new content within seconds using drag-and-drop tools. Also,you can integrate interactions and mentions across different social channels and emails to your CRM to easily engage your audience and prioritize posts.
- Real-time monitoring — See customer feedback, interactions, and campaign results in real-time for faster response and optimization on the fly.
- Big picture view — Analyse social performance from all channels from a single platform accessible by all departments.
Marketing Cloud Data Studio: Discover unique audience insights and increase revenue with data
Data Studio is a data sharing platform that lets you connect with other marketers and publishers to acquire and provision data to learn more about your audience and, in the case of provisioning, increase revenue.
Data is how we’re able to create the personalized content we’ve talked so much about in the other Studios. It gives us the information we need to understand current audiences and find new ones to target. The more you know about a customer, the easier it is to build marketing campaigns that resonate.
Data Studio is a marketplace where companies using Salesforce can go to share the data they acquire from their channels. For example, you might choose to share first-party data you’ve collected from subscribers so that other companies can turn it into second-party data to strengthen their marketing campaigns. It’s not unlike any other data marketplace or exchange in that regarded. However, where Salesforce differs is that the data owner is in full control of the data, not the reseller.
As a seller, this means you decide what to share and who to share it with. As a buyer, it means you get to complete transactions in complete confidence, on a trusted, secure, and transparent platform.
If you’re using the software to enhance your marketing, Data Studio segments data based on topics, which can be acquired with a simple search based on interests. You can also search for customer profiles and audiences by entering the kind of user info you want to buy and the platform will generate relevant results.
If you’re looking to monetize your data, Data Studio gives you access to the world’s largest enterprise marketers and lets you choose to make it publicly available or do private, peer-to-peer sharing with trusted partners. It also gives you the tools to ensure provision is done in accordance with consumer rights regulations.
If you plan to use Salesforce DMP, it’s unlikely you’ll need to use Data Studio to acquire data as DMP lets you pull data from the same premium sources. But if you have data that will be useful to other brands, this is the platform you should use to share it.
(Image source: ttps://c1.sfdcstatic.com/content/dam/web/en_us/www/images/marketing-cloud/products/data-marketplace/data-studio-create-richer-audiences.png)
Benefits of Data Studio
- Create richer audiences — Find data that gives you greater audience insights for more personalized marketing by creating partnerships with the world’s best data providers.
- Increase revenue — Manage and share data with ease by making it available publicly or privately with hundreds of Salesforce demand partners.
- Take control of your data — Use Data Studio’s provisioning, reporting, and management tools to maintain your data strategy and share data to comply with consumer rights and privacy regulations.
When used as a complete suite of studios, the effectiveness of Marketing Cloud is impressive to say the least. When combining it with add-ons such as SalesWings for Marketing Cloud (lead scoring, sales intelligence and alerts, behavioral tracking). — you become unstoppable.
Salesforce figures show that companies that have deployed Marketing Cloud have seen an average of 43% increase in marketing campaign ROI, 44% increase in lead volume and 46% faster campaign deployment.
But your marketing is not everybody else’s marketing, and not every studio might fit with what you’re doing. Which is why we’ve covered each as a standalone product. Look at where you want to focus your marketing, examine your strengths and weaknesses, and use the information in this post to choose the Marketing Cloud Studios that reach your customers on the channels they use.